As part of his upcoming book North Philadelphia, photographer Daniel Traub hones in on a particularly moving piece of the urban landscape of inner city Philadelphia: the forgotten lots left behind by leveled houses. In a difficult economic climate, a large number of houses are deemed beyond repair and are ultimately replaced with hauntingly empty spaces, piled with trash or overgrown by nature.
This was one of several pianos left on the wards of the Marcus Curry reception building at Greystone Park State Hospital, presumably too heavy to move when the building was abandoned. This 1929 construction was where Woody Guthrie initially stayed whilst waiting for his final diagnosis of Huntington’s Chorea, which he received two buildings over, in the Clinic Building. After his diagnosis, he was moved into the main building’s Ward 40, which he referred to as “Wardy Forty”. Sadly, both structures - which were in great shape - were demolished in early 2007 to make way for a children’s ballfield (which could easily have fit into some of the other greenspace on the grounds).